Their floors will remain exclusive while there will be no reticulation of vents in the floors
ACEHSPORT — The owner of an apartment on the premises of a luxury hotel in Melbourne has threatened lawsuits against plans for Australian Open organizers to use the hotel to isolate players ahead of the Grand Slam tournament earlier this season., Reuters mention after citing local media reports, Monday.
The owners of apartments at the Westin Melbourne said they were concerned about their health and had never agreed to quarantine international tennis players at Westin, and accused the hotel management of framing them with the plan.
“It was so arrogant to place us as if there was a finished agreement. There are public health and substantive legal issues that haven't even been examined,” said apartment owner Mark Nicholson.
Hundreds of tennis players are expected to arrive in Melbourne in mid-January and undergo compulsory isolation for the duration 14 days as part of the Covid-19 protocol before the Australian Open 8-21 February.
“At the age 84 year, I belong to the vulnerable group and the way they got through this problem without even trying to consult us was shocking,” said Digby Lewis, other apartment owners at the Westin.
“I am happy to provide Rp. 138-277 million to help with legal proceedings, because it's so shocking,” he concluded.
Westin's management said the plans were named “Covid safe” it has been announced with the owner company. They ensure that all residents of the apartment will not come into contact with staff or guests, and will use separate entrances and elevators.
“Their floors will remain exclusive while there will be no reticulation of vents in the floors,” Westin said in a statement, Monday.
Tennis Australia as organizer did not provide immediate comment when contacted by Reuters on the same day.
Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, is the epicenter of the second largest wave of the Covid-19 outbreak in Australia, with cases initially appearing in two hotels specifically isolated for international arrivals.
More than 18.000 infections were recorded in Victoria during the pandemic with almost 800 Dead.
Victoria recorded three new cases on Monday, as authorities scrambled to trace close contact of an outbreak that began in mid-December in the Sydney North Coast area.